Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Club Soda Ads

In another post, I made a joke about how other soda ads have hot celebrities in them, but that I only drink club soda, so where are all the hot celebrity-filled ads for club soda? Then I suggested that they could make some hype-filled ad where there’s an exclusive nightclub called “Club Soda”, where everyone, including all the hottest young famous celebrities, is waiting behind the velvet rope to get into the club; and once inside, they all get a big refreshing glass of club soda, and then they all dance around in ecstasy. (The truth is that most dance club people dancing around in ecstasy have a bottle of regular water, because they are on ecstasy.) I thought this idea was ridiculous, but then I realized something: the obesity epidemic.

More and more, we keep hearing from researchers and the government about how bad sodas are for everyone, and that they’re making everyone fat. (Sodas are identical to what they were when I was a kid, and I was thin all my life until recently, and I don’t drink any soda anymore. Except, like I said: club soda, and that has 0 calories.) But club soda has zero calories, so maybe we could see these super-hot celebrity endorsement ads like I joked about above. How? Well…

The government keeps bitching more and more about sodas being fattening, so what they could do is this: They could make a new law that says that for every commercial a soda company makes for their sugary soda, they must also make a similarly budgeted ad for a zero calorie drink, like club soda. (They ought to specify club soda, actually, so my ad can become a reality! Otherwise, it’s just government oppression, man!) Plus, they could strengthen the law to make it more specifically club soda-oriented, by saying it must be a zero calorie soda, but that it can’t have any artificial sweeteners in it. (And it must be clear and carbonated, and with no artificial flavors or colors. And no natural ones, either! And it must have the word “club” and “soda” in the name too; but only two words allowed in the name!)

But seriously, while I am joking here, I’m also being serious, as in: club soda is zero calories, and if advertised to the hilt with hot starlets and sports heroes, it could take off like any other soda, and help reduce people’s waistlines. (Oh, but then belt makers might be adversely affected! {But seriously: stars might resist this idea, because without sodas making everyone else fat, then they might not be celebrities, and someone else might have gotten noticed, and not them! So then I guess we’ll just have to increase their taxes!})