Monday, July 23, 2012

Ocuvite “Would You Take It?” Ad

This commercial begins with the question: “If there was a pill to help protect your eye health as you age, would you take it?” And then, because so many other pharmaceutical ads ramble on with disclaimer warnings and side effects, I continued the questioning in my head: “And if this pill made you grow a new head out of your own ass, would you still take it? And what if you had to take another pill for the eyes in your new head, would you take that too? Well, how about if that made you grow a new pair of eyes out of your second head’s mouth, and they stared at your own ass all day? Would you still take it? Really, you would? Well, I wouldn’t!”

Okay, so that’s just a silly joke, but there is an odd thing here, and that’s the fact that all the people in this ad are white with these fake-looking blue eyes. So, um, is this stuff for Aryans only? If I take it, since I don’t have blue eyes, will Gregory Peck break into my home and dye my irises blue, like in The Boys from Brazil?* (That is what these actors eyes bring to mind.) Because I understand their desire for a uniform look and color scheme in their ad, but maybe they ought to consider what it ends up looking like when you read between the lines. (Like is Ocuvite a secret plot to dye everyone’s eyes blue for the Fourth Reich? I don’t know, but that’s what it looks like!)

(Now, obviously I’m not suggesting Ocuvite is a Nazi plot: that’s just a joke about what the ad’s images bring to mind, because these weird-looking blue eyes that all look the same really remind me of the movie The Boys from Brazil, and I doubt I’m the only one to think of this, either!)

Here’s this silly ad that basically begs us to come up with our own warnings and conspiracy theories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apeNvN3hJI8

* BTW: If that did happen, they could use that song: “Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue?” in the ad. Except that I have green eyes. But not for long, I guess...