Tuesday, July 31, 2012

“We Got the Beat” In Ads (New Wendy’s Ad?)

Target has a new ad that uses The Go-Go’s classic song: “We Got the Beat”, but with altered lyrics. I’m surprised I haven’t seen this done more often, but in a more natural way. This Target ad changes the song to where the lyrics are practically unrecognizable, and as such, they lose the context. I always thought “We Got the Beat” could have been so easily and amusingly altered to “We Got the Meat” for a Meat Lover’s Pizza ad, or to “We Got the Beef” for Wendy’s. And for the Wendy’s ad, the ad could start with a replay of that famous “Where’s the beef?” quote from the 1980s ad, and then an all girl band of redheads (The Wendys) could smash through the background and play: “We Got the Beef”, and then show pictures of the enormous Wendy’s hamburgers. It’s so obvious, I’m frankly shocked they haven’t done it before! (Maybe the song was too expensive to license? But in any case, that would be my Wendy’s ad, if I were making one.)