Monday, July 30, 2012

The 2012 Olympics Logo

I love the Olympics, and these London games are just wonderful! But that does nothing to improve the look of the London 2012 Olympics logo, which is just awful! It’s the one with all the jaggedy-looking angular stuff that looks kind of like a broken mirror or something, but in ugly, tacky colors. When it was first unveiled, apparently they posted an animated motion graphics version of it online, and it caused people to have epileptic seizures when they viewed it. (Yes, really.) I must say, when your logo causes people to become seriously ill, and indeed sends people to the hospital when they see it, I think it’s time to reconsider your design. Oh, but displaying the true Olympic spirit of never giving up and never backing down, they refused to change it, so now we’re all being subjected to it anyway. And while it doesn’t make me sick enough to require hospitalization, it’s still pretty unbearable to look at. (Sorry, designers.)

I’m sure you all know what it looks like, but here it is again:


And here’s the proof I’m not inventing any of this: