Monday, July 2, 2012

Meow Mix Tender Centers Meow Song Ad

“Meow Mix: Cats ask for it by name.” Such is the tagline for Meow Mix. But isn’t it more honest to say that Meow Mix is named Meow Mix so that they can spin this dubious claim? (They tricked me into believing them for so long! For years, whenever I fed a cat any other brand of cat food, I thought the cats were demanding I give them Meow Mix instead, and I felt my actions went unappreciated. It was never my decision what to feed cats as a child, and their constant dissatisfaction for their food might have crushed my self-confidence for life, if not for those Morris commercials for Nine Lives cat food, which made it clear that cats are finicky about their food all the time anyway. So surely the grass was simply greener, and they would have asked for Friskies had they gotten Meow Mix. And that just goes to show you, it’s rude to always complain about what food people serve you. Cats ought to know this by now. Maybe this is why Americans prefer dogs to cats generally: because dogs always appreciate it when you feed them.)  Because, by their own logic, don’t cats also ask for Pur water filters by name? Or maybe both Pur and Meow Mix are made by the same company? That would make sense, what with them both trying to claim that cats only ever say “Meow” and “Pur” because they want their products. And water is what cats drink, so then they actively corner the market for cats’ food and drink with cat language names, so we’ll think of them, right? (And also so that it will appear as though cats are constantly requesting these products. It’s deviously brilliant!)

But it’s nice to see Meow Mix bring back that Meow song from my childhood. That tune (although very slightly altered) was known to all kids from my generation, and it’s nice to hear it pressed into service again for a new iteration of Meow Mix.

Will this company perhaps make an “Arf Mix” for dogs? Oh, but then dogs could joke that “Arf makes me barf!” So how about “Bark Mix”? Oh, but that sounds like a bunch of crumbled up tree bark, doesn’t it? And dogs never fall for eating that stuff, no matter how many times I try it. So, okay, how about “Bow Wow Mix”? They could say dogs all bow down to eat Bow Wow Mix, and after tasting it, they say: “Wow!” That one might work.

Here’s the crooning cats’ consumables commercial: