Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Michelle Obama and Marie Antoinette

Some recent news stories have focused again on the big spending vacations taken by the Obamas, leading some to repeat the allegation that Michelle Obama is the new Marie Antoinette.

This is clearly a false comparison. Marie Antoinette said: “Let them eat cake.” Michelle Obama says: “Don’t let them eat cake.”

I’m sorry: I know it’s a bad joke, but I couldn’t resist.

(BTW: I say let them go where they want on vacation. The national debt is only more than double what it was in 2008, so what harm can it do? Actually, I’m joking; they should get to go where they want when they live in a fishbowl the rest of the time. Have you seen President Obama’s hair color? They need their vacations. I do not begrudge them a break once in a while, for God’s sake. Compared to the size of the budget, the expense is really miniscule: it only seems high to us lay people compared to our vacation budgets.)