Sunday, December 20, 2015

Laphroaig 200th Anniversary Packaging

In Septempber, I posted a suggestion that Laphroaig, my favorite Scotch Whisky (along with Lagavulin, which I can’t afford), play up their 200th Anniversary with a special collector’s bottle or something, seeing as how a 200th Anniversary doesn’t come around every day. Maybe they have done this, but I hadn’t seen any mention of their bicentennial until today, where they’ve added a small label on the top of the tube their bottles come in, saying: “1815 - 2015: 200 Years of Laphroaig,” and added a little brochure inside the tube covering the history of Laphroaig. I’m glad they mentioned it, even with only two weeks left before 2016; and if my post helped them remember to do it, then so much the better. (I hope it helped.)

Maybe I should have mentioned it earlier. I only mentioned it when I did because I was surprised I hadn’t seen their packaging tout their bicentennial yet by September, and I thought it would be a shame to miss pointing it out and celebrating it while they could.

The Swiss blanche absinthe Kübler missed their chance to play up 150 years back in 2013 (or at least, I didn’t see any mention of it from them anywhere); but after all, that’s a sesquicentennial, and maybe not always celebrated as much as a bicentennial would be.

Here is my original post, from September: