Thursday, December 31, 2015

Robitussin “What If You Could See Your Cough” Ad

In this spot for Robitussin cough syrup, we see a man in a car with his family, and as he coughs, the announcer says: “What if you could see your cough?” (Or I think that’s what they said, anyway: I can’t find this ad online yet.) Then we see his cough spill through the car’s interior as a blue animated cloud, disgusting everyone.

This is a great callback to one of the great ads of all time. I think it was for Scope mouthwash, and it asked: “What if you could see bad breath?” Then we see someone say: “Hi!” or something like that, and this big greenish-brown cloud came forth from his mouth, disgusting everyone.

This was one of the most memorable ads from my childhood. That I cannot find this online to show you amazes me. I could find the Clagon “Spotmaker” ad, so why not this one?

Anyway, nice job on the callback of a great ad from yesteryear. The concept is still fun, even if nobody remembers it anymore.

(Like I said, I can’t seem to find this Robitussin ad online yet. But watch football if you want to see it.)

BTW: When I was a kid growing up, I lived in Massachusetts, and it was freezing cold all the time, with our breath visible all the time. So we used to go to school and make fun of this ad, breathing our steam breath and laughing. I'm sure none of us will ever forget it.