Monday, December 14, 2015

Orencia Moderate to Severe Ad

This ad where some middle-aged woman complains about her moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis always makes me chuckle a little bit. It’s not that I enjoy rheumatoid arthritis or anything; it’s just that people don’t usually say things about moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis in normal conversation, so it strikes me as extremely awkward dialogue.

Couldn’t you see the following conversation between a middle-aged woman and her teenage daughter?

“Mom, what’s wrong?”

“Oh, my moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis is acting up.”

“Oh, you have moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis? Moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis must be difficult to live with.”

“Yes, my moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis is unpleasant at times, especially when it goes from moderate to severe.”

“I can see how moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis could be unpleasant, especially when it goes from moderate to severe. Wow, I sure hope I don’t get moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis.”

“I hope you don’t get moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis too, dear.”

People just don’t say stuff like: “moderate to severe (whatever disease)” in casual conversation, so why not have ads like this use normal dialogue from the actor, and then have the announcer say the clunky stuff like “moderate to severe (whatever condition)”? That would work a lot better, I think, and as such, we’d get the message, rather than making fun of the clunky, unnatural dialogue.

Here’s the clunky commercial: