Friday, September 5, 2014

Empire Carpets Sisters of Mercy Ad?

When I was in school, one of my favorite bands was The Sisters of Mercy. But not what they played when I was in school: what they played before I had ever heard of them was what I loved! And one of those songs was called: “Kiss the Carpet”. (Off The Reptile House EP: a great early death rock masterpiece.)

So, okay, regular readers of this blog know where I’m going with this, but for those who are new here, I’m going to go there anyway:

The Sisters of Mercy call Empire Carpets to put new carpets down in their house, and when they see how great the carpets are, they are surprised and delighted to see what they want; so when the carpet is installed, they get down on all fours and kiss the carpet. And then we see the band playing their song: “Kiss the Carpet”, and the spokesman says that Empire has such a great selection of carpets, they’re sure to have one that will make you “Kiss the Carpet”. And they could claim that The Sisters of Mercy even wrote that song about them. (<A lie, I know; but when was truth ever considered important in advertising?)

Here’s “The Reptile House EP” (It’s the first song, although there is a rather long intro…):