Friday, September 26, 2014

Take The Saltine Challenge (Joke Ad for Premium Saltine Crackers)

I know this is a bit, um, arcane, for most, but there was a great punk rock band called The Plasmatics, and they used to introduce their songs using the Japanese version of 1, 2, 3, 4 (like the Ramones sometimes counted off songs using the German of 1, 2, 3, 4). Anyway, the way the guy yelled it, it used to sound to us like: “I eat saltines!” when we were in middle school. And when I heard it again, their song: “Want You Baby” made me think of someone woofing down saltine crackers, and then I thought of all the internet challenges, like the cinnamon challenge, and that reminded me of the old thing from the kids’ TV show Zoom, where they’d eat saltines and see who could whistle first. (Zoom used to be a childrens’ TV show back when the world was young, and dinosaurs roamed the Earth.)

So anyway, the Plasmatics song: “Want You Baby”, beginning with the “I eat saltines!” intro made me think of someone wanting saltines so badly, they’d just tear open a sleeve and start woofing them down endlessly, which could become “The Saltine Challenge”.

This is the song I’m referring to:


But the version I’m really writing about is on this album, at 17:43:


(I don’t know, but nowadays I feel like music has no time period that matters anymore: if it’s good, it’s never out of style, and young people see it that way, from what it seems. And so this might really work: who knows? {So long as nobody chokes to death on the crackers!})