Thursday, September 11, 2014

Froot Loops Bring Back the Awesome Ad

This is a cute ad, suggesting that adults can bring back the awsesome feelings of their youth by eating Froot Loops. This is exactly the same strategy I suggested for candy ads over three years ago, and I think it works, for the most part, here as well. But the problem here is that we’re incorporating ancient video games into this situation, and so the message risks being understood as: Froot Loops taste as great as 8-Bit graphics look. In fact, that’s the first thing that crept into my mind when I saw this spot: the sketchy taste of Froot Loops, as compared with the sketchy graphics of 1980s video games. I’m not sure that’s what they were trying to convey, but my guess is that message will ring loud and clear with many parents.

Here’s the awesome bringing spot:

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7yPu/froot-loops-bring-back-the-awesome

Here are my posts that lay out the strategy I refer to above (The Almond Joy one is near the bottom of the third paragraph, and the Werther’s one is at the very bottom):