Monday, July 25, 2016

Jon Stewart’s Exit from “The Daily Show”

My previous post, a spec ad for Hampton Inn using a joke about a disgraced politician caught in an adultery scandal and resigning, reminds me of how I hoped Jon Stewart would end his tenure on The Daily Show. (I should have posted this back then, but I forgot.)

I was hoping Jon Stewart, for his last moments and farewell on The Daily Show, would stage a scene as if he were a disgraced politician like Eliot Spitzer at a press conference apologizing and resigning with his humiliated wife standing next to him at the podium, saying: “I’m very sorry for my actions, and I’m leaving to spend more time with my family.”

Jon Stewart had covered so many embarrassing “mea culpa” resignations like that on The Daily Show, I thought it would have been a really silly and fun way for him to leave the show, and I’m sorry he didn’t do that.