Tuesday, September 4, 2012

“Become a Gunsmith” Internet Ads

Um, I’m not sure what to make of these. Are these some government plot to follow gun enthusiasts online, or is this really a real thing? I only ask because the ads are sometimes ridiculous. Like, I understand the one with a telephoto camera lens on a modified rifle stock, kinda (because photographers “shoot” pictures, and they kinda “stalk” their “prey”, I guess); but the one where a pistol has the barrel pointing towards the shooter? That makes me think it’s a government plot to make gun enthusiasts assemble their guns incorrectly and shoot themselves. (Or maybe it’s an ad for that old Matt Helm movie?) Or is the intent to make gun owners say: “Hey: that’s not right! I can fix that!”? It’s really hard to tell. (And it’s really silly and ridiculous too.)

The only thing this makes me really concerned about is that this might be like those other scam Internet ads where you click on them and something infects your computer. But I doubt that would ever happen to a gun enthusiast, because if someone like me thinks these ads are stupid (and I don’t even own a gun), then real gun people will know it’s a fraud from the moment they lay eyes on them. Which is why, if it’s legitimate, they ought to hire a gun person to make the ads. But whatever. (Although if it is a scam, I’m sure the perpetrators think people who like guns are too stupid to catch on, which is like saying a metalhead is too dumb to notice the difference between a guitar and an ukulele, which even we could easily spot, I assure you.)

So here’s my advice to people/entities who would like to trap certain individuals/groups: learn enough about what they’re interested in or what they do so that they won’t instantly recognize you as a fraud. Not that I’m trying to help them, you understand. It’s just pathetic to see them be so lame in their efforts, you see. It’s like a spammer trying to trick an American with broken English in a scam email: even we will know they’re full of sh!t. (But lots of them still try it all the time anyway.)