Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Political Convention Speeches: Humble Beginnings

In watching some of the coverage of the political conventions, I heard someone say they were really tired of hearing about everybody’s purported humble beginnings. Oh, I dunno: I think it’s kind of fun to listen to the one-upmanship of politicians trying to out-destitute each other’s childhoods, battling it out for whose parents were poorer, more hardworking coalminers or steelworkers, etc. (Both parties do this all the time.) But sometimes I long for something different.

Yes, you know they can’t all be from modest backgrounds and of humble means: some of these guys were born into high society; but we never hear about their beginnings, and I think that’s no fun. Just once I long to hear someone say something asinine like: “I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth like some people here. No, I’m allergic to the cheap stuff like that. I was born with a platinum spoon in my mouth, encrusted with the finest diamonds, rubies, emeralds and sapphires. I’ve never done an honest day’s work in my life, because I didn’t have to. I never even made any effort in school, either; I just played practical jokes on everyone and used my parents’ influence to get me out of trouble and buy my way into Harvard. In fact, I know so little about honest work, I decided to go into politics, because everyone in politics is just as sleazy and corrupt as I am. And if you vote for me, I’ll keep it that way!”

If I heard a speech like that, at least I would know it was sincere, and not just scripted.