Saturday, September 1, 2012

Heineken “The Switch” Ad

Heineken has a new ad where two guys walk into some dive bar, and after they order Heinekens on draught, the bartender flips a series of switches (it looks almost like a stick shift or something, actually), and then the boring lounge piano guy gets replaced with some singing group with a singer very reminiscent of Amy Winehouse (and some other stuff happens to the bar to turn it into a hot upscale nightclub, with walls flipping around all over the place, etc.). Now, I know the artist featured in this ad is not Amy Winehouse, but it seems to me that the intention is clear to evoke Amy Winehouse: you know, very similar sound, big black hair, etc. (Or am I wrong?)

Now, I would normally say that Amy Winehouse would work great for a Heineken ad, except for one thing: she died from alcohol toxicity last year. And even if it’s not Amy Winehouse in the ad, and even if they didn’t mean it to evoke her memory, the fact is that it does. And making people remember a big star who recently died from alcohol poisoning after a long and very public series of alcohol-related problems may not be the best way to advertise your alcoholic beverage: that’s all I’m saying.

And I apologize for not being up on music enough to know much about Clairy Browne and the Bangin’ Rackettes: They’re good, but this scenario makes me think of Amy Winehouse; and then I start to think about how maybe I shouldn’t have that next drink… (And they are selling an alcoholic beverage, right?)

It just seems to me that this is akin to Porsche making an ad with a James Dean look-alike in it. (Okay, that’s not really fair: Amy Winehouse didn’t die from drinking Heineken, and I’m not aiming to insult Clairy Browne either. But you see what I’m getting at, don’t you?) It’s not just about political correctness, or anything like that: I couldn’t care less about that myself. It’s just that when an ad makes me think about something that makes me say to myself: “Hmm, maybe I shouldn’t buy that”, I think it’s a problem with the ad: that’s all. (But maybe I’m the only person who thinks so.)

Here’s the alcohol-advocating advertisement: