Sunday, October 16, 2011

Daddy Warbucks

My recent post referencing the song “Tomorrow” from Annie reminded me of something about her benefactor/foster dad: Daddy Warbucks. Based upon his name, he’s obviously a war profiteer, right? (Get it: War Bucks? He must be one!) I thought they were supposed to be all evil and stuff. But he’s nice, right? And everybody loves Daddy Warbucks, right?

So I was thinking, what if Halliburton changed its name to: “Daddy Warbucks, Inc.” Would everyone love them then? I mean, I’d think even the most war-opposed liberal Democrat wouldn’t be able to accuse sweet Daddy Warbucks, right? After all, it would mean that poor Little Orphan Annie would be back on the streets, and it would be their fault! And I thought helping the underprivileged was the Democrats’ big issue! But if they’d go after Daddy Warbucks, then they’d be hurting Annie! Shame on them! And then Daddy Warbucks, Inc. could do anything it wanted with impunity!

See what a winning PR strategy this could be? And Blackwater thought they found a winner by changing their name to Xe! (Actually, I’ve almost never heard anyone mention them since then, so I guess they were right!) But if they ever get charged with anything, then they’ll rue the day they didn’t change their name to Daddy Warbucks! But that’s taken now, so go get your own Teflon rename strategy!