Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Spaghetti Incident

Years ago, I had a serious girlfriend, and she wanted me to come home to meet her parents, so I agreed. She said her mother was a great cook, and she asked what I wanted to have for our first dinner all together. So I said anything sounded good, except, please not spaghetti, because it’s so messy to eat, it’s hard to make a good first impression when eating it. So she said: “No spaghetti: check.” (So you’re probably getting ahead of me here, aren’t you?)

So the day finally came, and what do you think we had for dinner? That’s right: spaghetti with meatballs and the messiest tomato sauce imaginable. It was really good, but right before dinner, I saw it and said to my girlfriend in a soft voice: “I asked that we please not have spaghetti, because it’s so messy! I thought you wanted me to make a good first impression.” So she said, angrily: “You said you wanted spaghetti! Now you don’t want it? You’re impossible!” And then it was just my fault from then on. And as it turns out, I made a good impression on her parents anyway, and it wasn’t such a big deal to eat after all, so I guess it really was my fault for worrying about it to begin with. But this was the beginning of the end for this relationship, even though (or perhaps because) her parents liked me.

But this raises an interesting point: women always want guys to listen to them, but they don’t listen to guys back. So that’s not fair! From now on, because of this spaghetti thing, I think guys should never be willing to listen to women; not because they’re not interested, but out of revenge. But then again, maybe they won’t have to do it on purpose anyway. From what I keep hearing from women, men never listen to them anyway.