Thursday, October 20, 2011

Lexus “Gap” Ad

Okay, here’s another car ad where cars are skidding around all over the place. Well, it’s important to know you can get away with doing donuts in them when you’re drunk, right? Okay, maybe not, but showing this stuff is still really irresponsible if you ask me! I can’t help but steal one and drive it like this after seeing this ad! And all because of this spot! (It’s not my fault! They made me do it!)

So this shows the Lexus skidding through smaller and smaller spaces, until it barely squeaks through the last one. Gee, I can’t imagine some high yahoo attempting this for a YouTube video, can you? Actually, maybe I can… But that’s not important, now is it? After all, they say: “…because it isn’t real performance unless it’s wielded with precision.” Which means that unless you’re a really well trained stunt driver, their car sucks. Right? Because they said it has to be wielded with precision in order to have good performance, so that must mean that it’s a crappy car unless you’re a racecar driver, so regular people shouldn’t bother to buy it.

At least, that’s what it says to me, on top of providing a really bad example for people who watch the ad. Great job, guys! Now I know why there are so many tire skid marks all over town. But I’m not a stunt driver, so I guess I’m not going to buy your car.

Oh, but I think I finally get it, what they’re saying here in this ad. They’re saying that if you get into a wreck, it’s because you’re a spaz, and not because their car is lame. And if you drive like the guy in this ad, and you still wreck, well, then they told you so, right? Because then you obviously didn’t wield it with enough precision, so how can you expect “real performance”? Right? So their car is great; it’s you who are lame, if anything ever goes wrong with the car. I like the implied insult, but I’m still not sure about the car. After all, a Lexus is just a gussied-up Toyota, so what’s the big deal?

Here’s the spot: