Thursday, October 27, 2011

John McEnroe Sportswear

When I was a kid, my mom used to get me Jimmy Conners shirts to wear, and he’s hardly the only tennis star to have a clothing line. The very first clothing line to put an identifying logo on the outside of the shirt was Lacoste, the brand with the crocodile logo. (I believe most Americans think of it as an alligator, but we do that on purpose to annoy them at Lacoste, since they’re French.) And Lacoste was founded by the French tennis player René Lacoste in 1933. Many other sports stars have their own fashion lines and sportswear collections, from Andre Agassi’s Nike collection, to Nastia Liukin’s Supergirl line. So why not a line of sportswear from John McEnroe?

It would be great if he would make one! It could have a broken tennis racket logo on the chest, right where the polo logo goes on their shirts. And for added effect, he could have a stripe of light blue tears going down both sleeves, and reprints of his most famous quotes across the front and/or back, like: “That was in, are you blind?!” and “I’m telling my mom, you cheaters!” Wouldn’t it be great?

I’d buy one.