Thursday, January 5, 2012

Addicted Outreach

On NPR tonight, I heard an interview with a woman who does outreach helping addicts in downtown San Francisco. She said that she helps addicts escape that life, and when she helps someone, it makes her feel so good, it’s difficult not to get addicted to it. And then I realized: Oh my God: She’s an addict too! Who’s going to help her get clean?

I mean, what if every addict just stopped doing drugs one day, and there are no addicts left for her to help anymore? She’ll go into withdrawal! And then, someone will have to dress up in grimy clothes and go downtown and act all sketchy, pretending to be a drug addict, so she can help them and get her “fix”! Oh, the irony!

(Okay, this is just a silly joke, because she said she was addicted to helping addicts, and that sounded so wacky to me. But what she does is really great, and takes great courage to do; so while I’m joking about what she said, I’m not making fun of her: she’s awesome! And we could use more people like her!)