Thursday, January 26, 2012

Marijuana Legalization Ad Song?

I just saw an ad for something with Debby Boone in it (I don’t remember for what, sorry.) singing part of her famous hit: “You Light Up My Life”. And that got me thinking: “Hey, you could change some of the lyrics, and it would be the perfect song to advocate for marijuana legalization!” Want to see the altered lyrics? Too bad, I’m going to show you anyway:

(To the tune of “You Light Up My Life”: the chorus part)

You light up my pipe,
You give me dope, to carry on,
You light up my “j”,
And fill my lungs, with smoke,

You light up my pipe,
You give me dope, to carry on,
You light up my “j”,
And fill my nights, with bongs,

It can’t be wrong, when it feels so right,
And you, you light up my-y-y pipe!

Here’s a link to the actual song, so you can compare them (the chorus part, that my lyrics replace, begin at 39 seconds in):


(Sorry, actually, my lyrics are for the extended chorus at the end, and that starts at 1:47.)

So what do you think? It’s perfect, right? Or would it make everyone look like a pothead?

But if we could get Debby Boone to sing it, it might choke them up enough to make them legalize it! (And “choking them up” is perfect for the issue of marijuana legalization, isn’t it? Cough, cough! Choke!) I don’t smoke pot myself, but I think it should be legal, because after all, it’s readily available enough to anyone who wants it anyway, so what’s the difference?

But what a great voice Debby Boone has, huh? Wow! I’d forgotten how good she is.

Here’s another version of it, this from Japanese television, for those who like it: