Sunday, October 5, 2014

Google Movie Clone

Movies so often use fictionalized versions of everyday products, especially Google. I have seen many movies where there’s a fake web browser that’s obviously supposed to be Google, but for some reason they don’t want to actually show someone using Google.

Recently I saw the most ridiculous example of this fake movie Google web browser I’ve yet seen, in a movie called: The New Daughter; it was called: “Root Around”, and it had a little cartoon logo of a squirrel holding an acorn, with the subtitle: “…your place to forage the web!” Hilarious!

But if they’re going to make a fake Google web browser for a horror movie that actually contains spiders in the plot, then how about using a cartoon of a spider riding on a surfboard as the logo for a browser called: “Web Surfer”? That would have been a silly in-joke for the movie.

I wonder if any movie has used the “Web Surfer” title and the spider on a surfboard before as a stand-in for Google? It seems so obvious to me as a joke web browser name, I would be shocked if it hadn’t ever been used before. (But I have never seen it used in a movie.)