Sunday, October 5, 2014

VW “Isn’t It Time for German Engineering?” Slogan

There is sometimes an issue with VW advertising, and it always harkens back to their Germany references. With this slogan: “Isn’t it time for German engineering?” I always find myself thinking of Germany genetically engineering a new master race and conquering the world. I don’t know what could possibly make me think of such things, but it does come to mind. And if I’m thinking about it, chances are lots of other people are thinking about the same thing when they see this slogan. Maybe they should add: “…to be used for good?”

(By the way, for those who don’t know, VW especially has to be careful in eliciting thoughts of Nazi parallels because the company was essentially founded by Adolf Hitler; although for some reason Volkswagen does not generally choose to point out that tidbit in their ads.)