Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Mitt-Flops

John McCain reportedly has endorsed Mitt Romney as the Republican nominee. I didn't see McCain's speech, but I can only guess that he supports Mitt Romney because Romney is the only candidate who flip-flopped on his values more than McCain, so he makes McCain feel better about having sold out all his personal positions to get the nomination last time around. But that's one of the problems John McCain had as the Republican candidate last time: he appeared to have compromised his beliefs so much to get the nomination (because the Republican party is so demanding and inflexible regarding all their "family values"), so he looked like he couldn't be trusted. Or, at least that's how it seemed to me. And in 2000, I wanted John McCain to be the president! So it's not like I'm doing a hatchet job on him out of partisanship (which I wouldn't do anyway, because I don't like either political party!).

But isn't this whole thing of the last flip-flopper endorsing the current flip-flopper for president such a gift to the Obama campaign? They must be dancing in the aisles, with this coming on the heels of a Santorum surge in Iowa! (Santorum? I'll bet the Obama campaign people would sell their souls to run against that guy! If Santorum is the Republican candidate, we might as well just swear Obama in for his second term right now!) So if I were working for the Obama campaign, I think I'd assume at this point that Mitt Romney is going to be the Republican presidential candidate, and I'd start making up Mitt Romney brand flip-flops (the beach footwear), shaped like Mitt Romney's head, and with Mitt Romney's face printed on the front and back of them. Then, just to rub it in extra hard, I'd create flip-flops for people's hands (worn on the palm with a thong through the fingers), shaped like mittens, called "Mitt-Flops", with Mitt Romney's head on both sides, and with a red background on one side (to represent the "conservative" side), and a blue background on the other (to represent the "liberal" side). Then, all the Democrats supporting Obama could wear the Mitt-Flops everywhere on their hands to rub in Mitt Romney's flip-floppery! Wouldn't it be fun?