Sunday, June 30, 2013

University of Laverne & Shirley

I keep hearing ads for the University of Laverne on NPR. And every time I hear one, I think of Laverne & Shirley, the Happy Days spin-off show from my childhood. And then I think there ought to be a University of Laverne & Shirley, with Penny Marshall as the president of the university, and Cindy Williams as the dean, and with Michael McKean as a professor emeritus, and various and sundry former sit-com actors, writers and producers to teach the courses. It could be all about sit-coms, and teaching comedic timing and plot structure and all those other little things about sit-coms that make them work, and it could be an online university so everyone could take classes by watching their computer monitor, just like we'd watch a TV show.

This is Laverne & Shirley, for those who don't know (if such a person, in fact, even exists):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laverne_%26_Shirley