Sunday, January 1, 2012

Broadview Security "The Ex" Ad

After tearing them a new one with my last post, I thought I'd be nice and point out an ad for Broadview Security that I think works a lot better: it's a spot called "The Ex". In this commercial, some woman is coming home from what appears to be a first date, and after her date leaves, and she goes inside, her jealous ex, who was stalking her and waiting in his car, kicks in her door. Well, this trips the alarm, and he runs away, and she's saved by Broadveiw Security. (Yay!) This ad works a lot better for me, because I could totally see this scenario happening in real life.

The only problem is, if this scenario doesn't play out exactly as scripted in this commercial, the outcome could be very different regardless of the home security service. For example, if the jealous ex immediately comes to attack the couple on the stoop, before she opens the door, he could attack them both and get away without even tripping the alarm. Also, if he assaults her as she opens the door and disarms the alarm system, but before she can reset the alarm, he could attack her and get away without tripping the alarm too. Also, if he attacks her as she opens the door, and the alarm trips, he could totally kill her anyway, regardless of the alarm. But then that's why they script this spot the way they do.

Oops, you know, I was supposed to be being nice and complimentary here. Actually, I really do think this spot works much better. It's just that as I started writing about it, all these problems emerged in my mind about how the alarm could totally not even help in this situation. Oh, well: I'm sure jealous exes will always follow the rules like this so that she gets saved and they get in trouble; it's just the decent thing to do, you know.

Maybe what this would make a better ad for is a steel door company. They could show this very same ad, and then say that he could't have broken in if she had a steel door. But then there would be the windows, and then if she had bulletproof windows, he could always burn the house down. I guess there's no way to be completely safe from a guy like that unless you've got a submachine gun. And that's where my idea for the assault weapon purses (Second Amendment Accessories) would come in and save the day!*

Here's this ad with the jealous ex:


* And here's my previous post about the assault weapon purses: