Monday, April 9, 2012

Matzo Meal

I was invited to a Passover Seder this weekend, and we got to eat lots of stuff with matzo in it. From what I understand, the matzo is eaten to symbolize the part of the Exodus story where the Israelites had to pack up and leave the land of Egypt before their bread had time to rise. And so matzos are flat. And that’s ironic, because they’ll make you very round if you eat a lot of them!

But every year, when I go over to a Passover-celebrating house, I see cans of matzo meal for cooking, and we all break into a modified version of “Macho Man” by The Village People, only we call it: “Matzo Meal”, and the words are:

Matzo matzo, matzo meal!
I want to eat, a matzo meal!
Matzo matzo me-eal!
I want to eat a matzo meal!

We’ve been doing this for a few years now, simply out of habit. And while it might seem “inappropriate” to some, maybe this would make a good ad for matzos and/or matzo meal. It would be awfully silly, but it just might be fun enough to work, especially for selling matzos to the non-Seder-celebrating crowd. Although I must say, they may not need any advertising at all for matzos, as they appear to sell themselves quite well as it is!