Sunday, April 29, 2012

Ortho Mattress Mascot

When I was a little kid, there was an ad campaign for Qantas Airways where a Koala would sit in a tree, and after talking about how many tourists are coming to Australia to visit on this airline, the Koala would say: “I hate Qantas!” And following this quote, I would say to the TV set: “If you hate Qantas so much, why are you starring in their TV commercials?” And after that campaign, every time there is a problem with a Qantas flight reported on the news, I always joke in my head about how that Koala must have finally snapped and hijacked or sabotaged a plane to try to run Qantas out of business. (Nature strikes back!)

Oh, but while watching CBS Sunday Morning today, I see what must have happened instead! Yes, this morning I saw that there is a Koala mascot for Ortho mattresses, and it became clear that this must be what happened to the Qantas Koala! He really did hate Qantas after all! And so much so that he took another airline to fly to America and become the Ortho Mattress mascot, where he could fall asleep easily on Ortho mattresses and spend the rest of his life dreaming of a world without Qantas Airways!

Here’s one of those old Qantas Koala ads:


And here’s the website for Ortho Mattresses (Now tell me that’s not the same Koala!):