Friday, May 31, 2013

Cruise Ship Ads

After all the disasters aboard cruise ships lately, every time I see a TV commercial for a cruise ship company, all I can think about is the bad stuff. I don't mean to do it, and it's not really my fault, either. I'd be willing to bet everyone thinks about the same stuff too unless they're completely unfamiliar with these occurrences and their related bad publicity. So when I think about what the ads ought to be, I'm thinking that maybe they ought to say things like: "You probably won't have to sleep in your own feces for a week! And we've got lots of fire extinguishers now! Hey, bad experiences always pull people together! Maybe you'll even get a concert to raise funds for you afterwards!" Or is that actually reminding everyone of the problems too specifically? Okay, then how about a really long disclaimer warning of all these possible disastrous scenarios read in super-fast voiceovers by someone like the Micro Machines ad guy? That might be fun, even if it takes up two-thirds of the ad time.