Sunday, May 12, 2013

Samsung Galaxy S4 Graduation Photo Ad

(Special Mother’s Day Post! {Making fun of another ad that has a mother character in it!})

Ah, yes, I remember this scenario well. Here we have a college graduation ceremony, and the family takes a picture of their son receiving his diploma just as he rips open his gown and reveals that he’s only wearing swimming trunks. Oh, but then the mother just uses the new picture function to take it back a second to get the picture of him in his cap & gown receiving his diploma (which is totally cheating. Hey, man: you snooze, you lose!).

But this scenario is funny to me especially because we had a very similar thing happen with my college graduation. There was some protest about wanting to give the money for renting caps and gowns to charity, and the school finally bent and said they’d pay for them some other way and still give the money to charity. Oh, but once that was announced, the guy who spearheaded the whole kerfuffle (who I was pretty good friends with) admitted that the whole thing was just so we could all wear “flip flops and orange hair in a Mohawk” to the graduation ceremony. Well, we all wore caps and gowns, and dresses and suits and ties and stuff underneath, and I never heard anything more about it. But then I saw this ad, and it reminded me of the whole thing. (This probably happens at every college graduation.)

(Sorry, I can’t find this ad online yet, but you’re sure to see it on TV.)