Monday, May 20, 2013

Depend Guards for Men Tony Siragusa Ad

Here we have tough guy football analyst Tony Siragusa saying he’s been around tough guys for years, and now he’s going to shift his focus to hanging around with men whose bladders are too strong for them to control. And you know what that means: it’s the new ad campaign for the Depend for Men Guards that let men pee their pants in public in security! Because letting only women get away with doing it is sexist!

And it looks as if Tony Siragusa has built a miniaturized man cave in this guy’s bathroom, I guess for his “manhood” to enjoy? (I always thought manhood had more to do with character, courage, maturity and responsibility, but I guess you could just equate it to one’s penis too if one doesn’t have any of those qualities.)

Oh, but Depend is not really the company that invented this product, now are they? No, others maybe have invented this idea before privately, but the first time anyone ever saw it advertised on television was on Saturday Night Live. Yes, in the early 1980s, SNL created this product and made a (joke) ad for it. The product was called Penie Pads, and the slogan was: “Good for the last drop!” (I think someone is owed some royalties here… And you know, Saturday Night Live really ought to make and sell the products the make joke ads for as novelty gifts. And then, when the rest of the world has caught up to their creativity and seen the need for such a product, they can license it and make a killing! Hey, I’d buy Macho Wipe Toilet Paper as a joke gift, and so would everyone else I know!)

Yes, the joke ads on Saturday Night Live were always my favorite sketches, and that’s why I write this blog making fun of ads, writing joke ads, and writing proposed ads that I think are either good or fun enough to really make. I’m just a frustrated guy who would really like to be writing joke ads for fake products for SNL at heart. It’s all their fault!

Here’s the purloined peenie pad piece:


By the way, for those of you who don’t know or don’t remember, Macho Wipe Toilet Paper was another joke ad on SNL years ago, with Lauren Hutton in a sexy nightgown or some such thing saying: “I’m Lauren Hutton. I want my man to work hard and play hard, and when he goes to the bathroom, I want him to wipe hard!” Then Joe Piscopo said: “This is your average soft toilet paper: the kind wimps use!” (And then he contemptuously throws the roll of toilet paper over his shoulder.)

Here’s the Penie Pads joke ad, from 1981: