Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Hershey’s Mr. Goodbar “Looking for Mr. Goodbar” Ad (Joke/Proposed)

Diane Keaton walks into a dark, classic-looking (with lots of dark wood and a built-in hand-carved antique wooden bar with attractive architectural details) bar in New York City. She sits at the bar, and the bartender says: “What’ll it be?” So she says: “I’m looking for a Mr. Goodbar”, whereupon attractive young men on both sides of her at the bar turn around to each offer her a regular-sized Mr. Goodbar chocolate bar, with some of them leaning over each other to extend their outstretched arms to hold out a Mr. Goodbar to her. (And perhaps one of the Mr. Goodbars is also the small, “Fun Size”, and one of them is that huge family-sized thick bar.) She looks at all of the Mr. Goodbars, trying to decide which one to accept, and as she considers the options, another man approaches her with a candy bar, saying: “I don’t have a Mr. Goodbar, but I’ve got a Nestlé Crunch.”, after which everyone starts laughing at him contemptuously, and he slinks away, embarrassed and disheartened. So Ms. Keaton takes one of the Mr. Goodbars, says: “Thank you” to everyone, and starts to open her candy bar, at which point the bartender says to her: “Would you like a drink to go with that?” And she says: “No thanks, I was really just looking for Mr. Goodbar.”

This is way out-of-date and everything, and I’m not so sure adults buy a lot of Mr. Goodbars, but this is always what I have thought of throughout my whole life as an ad for Mr. Goodbar chocolate bars, because of the movie called Looking for Mr. Goodbar (although I have never seen the movie; but this is what I always imagine the movie to be about). But it would certainly be an advertising strategy for Hershey’s Mr. Goodbar aimed at adults, and I thought that might be fun for a change.