Monday, May 6, 2013

Geico Mascot Ripoffs?

I saw an ad yesterday for Newtek, which is I guess some loan company for small businesses or something, and they had a blue lizard mascot called the “Newt” (I guess it’s short for Newtek). So, are companies just taking it for granted that Geico’s gecko mascot is what’s winning the ad wars for them? (If indeed that’s what is even happening. It seems to me that Geico just floods the airwaves with multiple ad campaigns simultaneously, and that the gecko one is just the most common thread. {They run so many ads all the time, I frankly don’t understand how they make any profits from all the money they’re spending on advertising. But maybe that’s not the point: maybe they’re just trying to run everyone else out of business…})

So how about more lizard mascots for companies (especially insurance companies)? I mean, it’s obvious that people only trust lizards with insurance stuff, so I guess every insurance company should use a lizard mascot of some type, right? We could have the Allstate alligator, the State Farm salamander, the Liberty Mutual lizard, the Progressive frog (frog sounds kind of like Prog, which is as close as gecko is to Geico), etc. And then surely everyone would buy multiple insurance policies just because they love the lizards so much, right?