Monday, November 19, 2012

Holiday Online Transactions

Wow! This sure is a pain in the ass! Every time I need to do anything online these days, every site, from my bank to my cable provider to my preferred online shopping location, they’re not acting normal. They’re asking me to enter the most critical personal information to proceed. For my bank, they want my mother’s maiden name or my father’s middle name, my online store wants me to re-enter my credit card number and expiration date, etc., and they want me to type it in for them. Um, isn’t this exactly what a hacker would do? It sure seems that way to me. And even if it’s not a hacker, there could be a key-reading virus, or else you could be using someone else’s computer, and they might read keystrokes too. I mean, maybe I’m being too spastic, but it seems to me that there’s a better way for them to make sure they know it’s us, and it would be more benign questions.

What’s your favorite actor?
What’s your favorite movie?
Etc.

You get the idea.