Sunday, November 4, 2012

I Hate Myself for Loving Football (Song)

As we mostly all know, NBC uses the Joan Jett song “I Hate Myself for Loving You” (with altered lyrics) as their theme song for Sunday Night Football, with Faith Hill singing it. But I think this is a big mistake, because that music always makes me think of the original Joan Jett song, and it makes me feel like I should hate myself for loving football. So I end up singing to myself something more like this:

I hate myself for loving football,
It makes me feel like I’ve been kicked in the balls,
My teams always lose and it’s making me bawl,
That’s why I hate myself for loving football!

It just seems like there are a million other great songs out there, and just about as many great songwriters who could write a more appropriate football song that doesn’t make us remember the “I Hate Myself for Loving You” lyrics and applying them to football in our minds. But I’ll bet Joan Jett is laughing all the way to the bank!