Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Southern Comfort “Whatever’s Comfortable” Ad

This new Southern Comfort commercial shows a man in an old style weenie bikini (I think: Sorry, I’m not an authority on weenie bikini styles, but it seems like I have seen this style in movies from the late ‘60s. Is that what they’re going for? Because I always found that those long swim trunks were the most comfortable for me, and everyone else, back when I was a beachgoing dude {and I was in good shape back then}.), and then it shows his drink’s mixing stick fly a flag that says: “Whatever’s Comfortable”.

I hate to say it, but this ad elicited the following response from my sister: “Oh, is this supposed to be the ‘Least Interesting Man in the World’?” (She’s referring to the Dos Equis ad campaign, obviously.) But some PSA or anti-alcoholism group could use this idea to show some alcoholic ramblings, and say alcoholism will make you into the “Least Interesting Man in the World”, playing on the famous Dos Equis campaign. (PSAs like this generally like to mock popular ads in this way.)

This is the same guy, but it’s not the same ad. You have to sign in to see the ad I’m discussing here, so I’m assuming nobody wants to do that. (Isn’t it amazing that you must sign in online to see something you can’t avoid on television?) But this is the same guy in the same bathing suit (I would have said he was fat a few years ago, but I will probably look like that soon, so I will reserve judgment upon potential hypocrisy grounds.):