Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Bus Stop Anti-Smoking Ad

There is a bus stop ad right down the street from where I live that shows a cute little baby holding an asthma inhaler in its hand, and the headline says: “I gave you love. You gave me asthma.” Then it says at the bottom that cigarette smoke can cause asthma in infants. I guess it’s another ad aimed at bullying people to quit smoking or something. They probably should quit smoking, especially if they have kids, but the feeling it left me with didn’t have anything to do with the asthma issue. No, the feeling I was left with was that the mother should make a rebuttal ad to put on a bus stop across the street that says: “I may have given you asthma, but I also gave you life, love, shelter, food, time, and a lot more you ungrateful brat. Also, the cause of your asthma is probably up for serious debate. You may be wrongly accusing me on top of being a punk. How would you like me to give you away?”

Is that the thing I was supposed to take away from seeing that ad? Because if so, then well done: they nailed it! But if not, then, um, fail?

Here is a Spanish-language version of the ad (I couldn’t find a good picture of the English-language one, sorry.):