Thursday, April 21, 2011

Smoking in NYC

In case anyone missed this story just because there are important things going on in the world, here it is:


Yes, that’s right: someone got stabbed in the face with a pen on the New York subway for asking someone not to light a cigarette on the train. Finally, the city is living up to its dangerous, violent, scumbag reputation! If they made a remake of Deathwish today, they’d have to set it in another city (Chicago? Los Angeles? Okay, so they’d say it was there but shoot in Toronto or Vancouver. So what else is new?). But at least somebody is fighting back for New York’s seedy reputation and street cred! (I’m from New York City, so before you get mad at me, first at least admit I’m right about this.)

I think a better course of action for me would be, rather than making a further commentary of my own, to recommend that everyone go read the comments at the bottom of this story. There are a lot of hate-filled people out there, but many of them are pretty funny. Someone wrote: “The pen is mightier than the sword.” Someone else wrote: “Now they’ll have to ban pens.” I couldn’t have said these things better myself.