Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Superman Returns

In a Hollywood Reporter article, Bryan Singer makes a few excuses for why his movie Superman Returns “didn’t work”. What’s funny about this is that he failed to mention the two major reason that I noticed in that regard, and I find it difficult to miss these. The first one, for me, is that when Superman (A typo just led me to find out that if you are sloppy, you can accidentally type ‘Spermman’. Oops.) returns, he and everyone else is at least 10 years younger than they were when he left. And apparently from what we’re led to believe from the movie, he’s been gone for kind of a long time. I’m sorry, but that’s hard to overlook. Maybe he found a way to reverse time by flying around the Earth backwards really fast, but leave everyone’s memory intact this time. But I doubt it.

The other problem has to do with the Kryptonite. Earlier in the movie, Superman is practically killed by his contact with and proximity to a little teensy bit of Kryptonite. But then, he’s able to fly a whole continent’s-worth of it out into space. Huh. That kind of ruined the movie for me. But I’ve never heard anyone else mention that flaw. Maybe that’s because there are supposedly so many other problems with the film. After the first two, I just quit keeping track or even paying attention.

The article this post refers to can be found here: