Friday, October 26, 2012

Rapeublicans

There has been, oh, I don't know, shall we call it a trend (?) lately, of Republican candidates uttering extremely idiotic and yucky statements about rape as it pertains to the abortion issue. Some Republicans condemn these ideas, and others are conspicuously silent. But it seems to me that these guys have a basic conception of right to life that can go in some pretty loathsome directions, and the Republican Party platform doesn't make it that easy to understand exactly where they stand on this issue; I mean, during campaign season, anyway. (I think we're pretty clear on where they stand the rest of the time: baby = good; woman carrying baby = whatever: she's just a vessel for the innocent child, after all. Or, at least, that's how their position seems to read to a lot of people.)

So it seems to me that if the Republicans would like to distance themselves from politicians with this type of belief, why not ask them to go form their own party: the Rapeublican Party. Otherwise, they might as well just change their own party to the Rapeublican Party. Because that's what they're beginning to make us think of whenever we think of Republicans. (And that ain't good!)

(Sorry, Republicans: I know this is kind of harsh; but you guys need a wake-up call on this issue! I mean, even left-wing TV personalities who make their living making fun of you are telling you to stop with the rape comments. And I'd have thought they'd like you to just keep on going, not only so they can make fun of you, but also so you can discredit yourselves with women everywhere {as in, give you enough rope...}. But even they are advising you on how to avoid this pitfall, so just take it as a nice gesture from them. Personally, I prefer for everyone to say what they think and what they mean, so we all know what they stand for, and we can make an informed decision. It's really you guys who should want to stop, because this is what we call an "unforced error". But forced or not, if this is what you really believe: that rape victims should be forced by the government to carry their rape babies to term, then you guys are pretty despicable. And if so, you really are Rapeublicans.)

(Full disclosure: I'm pro-choice, but I understand the other side's argument, too. And I think we should all have our say, but I don't think the government should be used to enforce religious dogma {and that's what this is, really}. Pro-life people are more than welcome to try to convince women to keep the baby with an argument, but only insomuch as they are willing to listen. And I also get the idea of destroying potential human life being immoral {although I still think it should be up to the woman whose body it is}, it's just that with as overpopulated as the world is becoming, I think it's more immoral to force more people into the world than it can sustain. We're heading towards living in the movie Soylent Green {excepting the women as furniture bit thankfully, at least in Western society} at the rate we're going, and that is far more horrible than abortion. I mean, I know there might be another Earth-like planet somewhere we could reach someday, but at the rate we're going, we'll be eating Solent Green far before then. And isn't that worse, in the long run, than allowing a woman's right to choose? Or is that why you want the extra people born into the world: so you can eat them? {A-ha! I knew there had to be something more to this!})