Friday, October 26, 2012

Yahoo!’s Scariest Movies (You Haven’t Seen)

Recently Yahoo! posted an article about the scariest movies we haven’t seen (I guess as a Halloween treat). So I was intrigued to see what scary movies I haven’t seen that might be worth seeing. But there’s a real problem with this article: I’ve already seen all of these movies, and so have all of my friends. So I find myself wondering: Who is this article intended for? Oh, well: maybe nobody else has seen these movies. (But I doubt it!)

It’s funny that they would categorize Possession as scary, as it’s really just violent and disgusting. But I guess that’s what passes for scary these days, huh? And Pan’s Labyrinth, the Academy Award-winner for best cinematography, best art direction, and best makeup, as well as winner of a plethora of other awards worldwide: nobody has seen this movie? Really? I doubt it, somehow. And Pulse was such a big hit, they even produced an American remake; same with A Tale of Two Sisters (although the remake was called The Uninvited); ditto with Let the Right One In (that remake was called Let Me In). In fact, I would say that most of these movies are pretty well known, especially with horror movie fans. (And they’re all readily available for rental.) But then again, maybe the average Yahoo! user is not big on horror or foreign films: who knows?

If anyone wants a list of horror movies most people probably have not seen, here is what I would suggest in place of their list:

Viy (1967)
The Savage Hunt of King Stakh (1979)
The Horrible Dr. Hichcock (1962)
Black Cat Mansion (1958)
Tokaido Yotsuya Kaidan (1959)
This Night I’ll Possess Your Corpse (1967)
An Angel for Satan (1966)
Shadow of the Cat (1961)
La Cruz del Diablo (1975)
Lisa and the Devil (1973)
Alucarda (1978)
La Setta (1991)

Here is the not very enlightening Yahoo! article/list of scary movies you probably have seen: