Tuesday, November 26, 2013

My Thanksgiving in Hollywood with Jason’s Mom (From “Friday the 13th”)

Well, Thanksgiving is fast approaching again, so I thought I’d take this opportunity to relate one of my first Thanksgivings in Hollywood. My sister’s mother-in-law was a famous TV actress, and before she died, she either had lots of former TV stars over to her home for Thanksgiving dinner, or else we’d all go to one of her friends’ places. Well, on this occasion, we went to an apartment on Wilshire (I think) belonging to another TV star from the 1970s and ‘80s, and there at the party was someone I recognized: Betsy Palmer.

Well, I immediately recognized Betsy Palmer, but I couldn’t quite remember why I knew her face so well. And when I met her, I said I knew her from something, but I couldn’t quite place it. So she said: “I’m Jason’s Mom from Friday the 13th.” And so I said: “Oh, wow, you are!” And then I said: “Oh, please say it…” So she made that face from near the end of the movie, and she said: “Kill her, Mommy, kill her!” And we both laughed. And later, at the table, someone else said not to let her have the carving knife, and I thought: “Wow, she probably gets this sort of treatment everywhere she goes for doing Friday the 13th.” And she did say that of all the movies and TV shows she made (and she made a bunch), everyone always remembers her from Friday the 13th.