Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Obamacare “Jackass” Ads (Proposed)

I complain about the high premiums I’m having to pay for the so-called Affordable Care Act, but there are some things I really like about the program, like the fact that people cannot be dropped because they get sick or rejected because they have a pre-existing condition. (I just wish I could afford it! I used to be able to afford my insurance before this law, which is ironic, based upon its name.) But in order for this program to work, apparently many healthy young people will have to sign up for insurance, and that may be a difficult sell. Well, never fear, I’m here to help (despite being harmed considerably by this law’s effect on premiums).

So last year I went to the doctor, and in the waiting room they had a bunch of posters recommending safety and healthy living and stuff like that. Well, upon seeing this, I immediately thought they should do the opposite: show the Jackass movies on TV screens and have posters daring young people to take risks with activities likely to injure them, since that would actually make them more likely to need medical care, and thus the hospital would make more money on co-pays and such. Well, that was a joke, but with the Obamacare law needing young people to sign up, it would actually make a really good ad campaign.

Here’s how this would work: We’d see some stunts from the Jackass movies, and then we’d see college guys imitating these stunts and getting injured. And then the announcer would say: “Hurt yourself doing something stupid? No problem! It’s covered with Obamacare!” And then we’d see the guys being cared for at the hospital and getting well. (And if they really wanted to attract young customers, they could show the injured guys getting pain pills or medical marijuana and getting high. But they wouldn’t put that in an ad, obviously…)