Tuesday, February 5, 2013

CGI Zebra Mascot for Oreo Ads?

I was watching the news, and I saw a new Geico ad with the little fake computer-generated gecko flubbing his lines and laughing, etc., and it reminded me of the Aflac duck, and I wondered if the future of advertising is for every product and service to get a cute CGI animal mascot/spokesman. Well, seeing as how it seems to work so well for Geico and for Aflac, shouldn't it become mandatory for every other advertising campaign to have one too? And since I was just writing about an Oreo ad, I immediately thought of using a zebra mascot for Oreos.

A zebra is half black and half white, just like an Oreo cookie (although admittedly the pattern is different on a zebra, but that is of no consequence), and as such it would be perfect as an Oreo advertising mascot/spokesman. Maybe even the zebra from the Madagascar movies could moonlight as the Oreo spokesman, who knows? (And an American zebra would be preferable, I'd think. Because hey: That Geico gecko is not American, is he? He's got an Aussie accent, right? And Geico stands for "Government Employee Insurance Company", doesn't it? My goodness: even our own government is outsourcing its mascot/spokesman jobs! No wonder our economy is in the crapper! But an Oreo zebra would help fix that problem.)

But a zebra could be all cute like an anime My Little Pony or something for children's advertising, which would force parents to buy Oreos even more than they already have to do. (Because kids will nag them more than ever if there is a cute cartoon character that is drawn in the anime style. I think anime style characters are what kids have to like by law or something.) And maybe he could be called Zachary the Zebra, or something like that. And maybe he could use Oreo cookies to write a "Z" on everything like Zorro. (Too far, that part?)

Or has Oreo already used a CGI zebra mascot in their advertising and I missed it?