Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Jeep “I Love You California” Ad

Jeep has cobbled together a beautiful TV commercial for their Grand Cherokee and Wrangler Rubicon models using some ravishing footage of the gorgeous and varied natural California landscape, from the lush countryside to the barren desert to the jagged mountains to the majestic redwood forest to the lovely beaches and coastline, including a breathtaking series of panoramic shots of the Golden Gate Bridge and an affectionate drive-by shot of the Hollywood Sign. And it’s all lovingly set to the lyrics of the California State Song: “I Love You California”. (It also uses a really cool 1930s-sounding version of the song.) It also, however, claims: “If California had a ~ State SUV ~ we would be it.” But would they really?

Jeeps are great and everything, but I think we have to look at what makes California California, and a lot of that is left-wing politics and environmentalism. So, unless they make mainly hybrid SUVs, I’d have to say that they probably wouldn’t really be the California State SUV. In fact, based upon what I know from living in California, I’d have to say that the California State SUV is probably the Toyota Prius. But if they made a hybrid Jeep that flaunted its environmentalism in an appropriately aggressive manner, Jeep may indeed one day truly become the official State SUV of the Hippie State. I mean, the Golden State, of course! (I don’t know what came over me there for a second…)

Here’s the California co-opting car commercial: