Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Expanding Banner Ads

Hey, you know you love it, right? Banner ads that expand over what you’re trying to look at: they rule! And they are especially delightful if they take a while to do their thing, and they slow your experience down to a crawl. Great! It’s just like the old pop-up ads we all hate and block, only these aren’t in a separate window, so they’re totally different and totally awesome! (Right? No?)

I don’t know about you, but whenever an ad does this to me, I make a mental note to never buy anything from that company. It’s not quite as bad as being called at home, but it still sucks. And I get that they want to get their name out there, but surely there must be a way to do it without making everyone hate them, right? Because, you know, they’re paying a lot of money for the ability to make us hate them.

I think there’s an easy solution to this problem, but it would require an entire re-thinking of how Internet advertising operates. How it works now is that ads get revenue based upon clicks, and so being as annoying and intrusive as possible is how they expect to get those clicks. I have even clicked against my will due to the expanded windows jumping in my way out of nowhere, and they probably, sadly, got money for that, and most likely do a lot for the same reason: accidental contact or impatience on the part of the web-surfer. This is bullsh!t. All this does is make people hate brands, and they have to pay for the privilege to make prospective customers hate them: lame, and wrong.

Here’s how it ought to work: Websites should charge companies a flat rate based upon the sites popularity to put an ad on their site, which should be considered to be a branding opportunity, like having a brand name on a building or at a sports event. Then, they should build a link into their little ad that takes people to bigger ads or make interesting media advertising for that brand if they want to see it. That way, people would get the brainwashing from the brand ad, but not learn to hate them for their intrusiveness. As it is, I think it makes people hate them more than anything else. But in my solution, people would notice the brand name, and then only get the bigger ads if they were interested.

And what to send them to? Why, I think the real answer is to send interested parties to expanded advertising experiences like what BMW Films used to do. TV ads should be available to see on the Internet, but Internet advertising really should be its own thing, and it ought to be cool, like a gift or entertainment you can’t get anywhere else. But as it is, it makes me and all my friends hate the companies. And I’d say that’s likely the opposite of what they’re looking for as a marketing goal.