Saturday, December 8, 2012

My Gangnam Style Story

A few weeks ago, I thought it would be fun to show this PSY video of “Gangnam Style” to my 10-year-old niece (and her mother: my sister). This was before it was the biggest video on YouTube ever, etc. (But just barely: I’m not claiming to be cool or anything.) So we all watched it together, and my niece had some of the funniest comments to make. They were really more like initial observations, like: “He’s spitting Coke on that kid: Ew, it must be sticky!” “He’s yelling at her butt!” “He’s sitting on the toilet!” (This was interspersed with lots of laughter all around.)

The funny thing to me was that she already knew how to do the dance from school, but she just hadn’t seen the video, and she didn’t know who the singer was. And this is what it’s like with this kid: whenever we try to introduce her into something new or cool, she already knows about it (unless it’s from before her time, like Universal or Hammer horror movies, etc.). My sister was debating whether to show her The Hunger Games, but she had already seen it at a friend’s house. So now we don’t even know what filter to put on the movies anymore, since she’s probably already seen them anyway.

BTW: A lot of people wonder why this PSY video is so huge. I’d say it’s the same answer Jessica Rabbit game to Bob Hoskins when he asked why she married Roger Rabbit: “He makes me laugh.” That’s why I love this silly music video. I’m just surprised that GWAR stuff isn’t more popular if that’s what it takes. (They’re hilarious too! {But adult.})

Oh, and another thing: The orange-haired girl reminded me of my attempt to bleach my hair blonde in college: I have dark brown/almost black hair, and when I tried to bleach it blonde, it turned the same color of TANG orange as this girl in the video (Hyuna, I think?). Then I bleached it again, and it turned hi-lighter-pen yellow. So if you have really dark hair, and you want it to be white-blonde like I did, recognize that it’s probably not going to happen, unless you do multiple stages, and then you will probably get dandruff.

Oh, and that girl dancing in the subway by herself: I’m from New York City, and I wouldn’t recommend she try that stuff there (at least not alone).

Here’s the video you’ve all seen: