Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Sears Connecting Flights Ad

Okay, I must admit, the first time I saw this ad, I thought it was for a real movie, even though I hadn’t heard of the movie (which is weird, because as a Hollywood guy, I usually know about all the new movies before they even have ads). And I have to say, it’s made better than a lot of trailers I have seen lately. But then they just crash into that Sears appliance: WTF? How is Sears ever going to sell appliances to newly married couples if they’re always hurting them with appliances while they’re courting? I would definitely buy another brand if they did that to me, but….

Yes, but if they could find a way to have the appliances positioned just right for a woman and a man in the wrong relationships to have their wrong-for-them significant-others crash into the Sears appliances and get knocked out, leading to the perfect couple finally meeting and getting together, then they would be appreciative to Sears for their appliances getting in the way of their failed relationships just in time to be the matchmaker for a great marriage, and they would buy all of their appliances from Sears. And that’s how I would make these ads if I were the creative director at their ad agency.

Oh, and another thing: As much as I really liked the fun idea of the Rom-Com movie trailer, the slogan: “Love Goes Viral”, sends all the wrong messages to me. Why? Well, because there are so many STDs out there, as well as incurable diseases caused by viruses, like herpes and AIDS. And I’m pretty sure I’m not supposed to be thinking about that stuff, but I can’t help it when the ad says: “Love Goes Viral”. See what I mean? (Ew!)

But I love how they made this ad, and it’s definitely a great Rom-Com parody! I just think they should try to attract their potential customers, rather than repel them. Don’t you think it might be a better idea? Because as it is, it makes me feel like if I were part of a young couple, they might drop a refrigerator on me (like in the Warner Bros. cartoons) if we went shopping for appliances at Sears. See what I mean?

Here’s the otherwise fun Sears spot: