Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Florida Orange Juice Bad Day Ads

I think I must have ridiculed these ads before, but I just saw another (new) one tonight. And it had been so long since the last one, too. (I was hoping they had a better campaign concept by now.)

So this ad starts with some guy at a diner table with a bunch of people, and he’s got a glass of orange juice in his hand, and then he asks what all is going to go wrong today. So some tollbooth lady says he will arrive at her tollbooth without any change (Doesn’t this give him fair warning to go get some change? But I digress…), and then some other construction worker-looking guy says a box of nails will fall from his truck and puncture this guy’s tires. (I must add that these people give him exact times and locations for these upcoming occurrences. So doesn’t this give him the foresight to avoid them? Or is this, like in a Greek play, an example of how no man can escape his fate? But I digress again…)

Now, at this point in the ad, the guy says: “Good thing I got my orange juice!” And then he drinks it. But it is at this exact point where I begin to wonder a couple of pertinent things: 1.) If he didn’t drink the orange juice, might he possess the intelligence and foresight to avoid these problems, and 2.) Isn’t it just possible that it is, in fact, the drinking of the orange juice that is causing all of this mayhem and bad karma? I’d think that this exact ad campaign would be the perfect ad for another juice like V8 to add an ending that says: “Drink V8 and avoid all of the bad luck drinking orange juice will always bring you! Look at O.J. Simpson: He drank orange juice, and look what happened to him! Such disasters never befall the imbibers of V8 juice!”

This is not the ad I just saw, but it’s from the same ad campaign: